Talking about the church and disability can bring in many different perspectives, but what is God’s perspective on disability? What is God’s purpose or design in disability? Our guest today is Mike Matthews, the senior pastor at First Baptist of Claysville, PA. Mike was born with cerebral palsy.
About guest Mike Matthews
Mike Matthews got involved with the Independent Living Movement when he was 16 years old. He is a former program director and assistant director at two different centers for independent living, located in western PA. He has advocated for disability rights at the state and federal levels. He was part of many grassroots protests in Washington D.C. that advocated for equal rights for people with disabilities. One of his greatest passions is helping others see God’s good design in disabilities. He considers his wife, Robin and their son, Reese, his greatest gifts from God. He is currently pursuing his B.S. in Leadership & Ministry from Grace Bible College.
From the show:
- Mike shares what it was like to be a teenager who has cerebral palsy and what it was like to connect with other disability advocates when he was 16 years old.
- Mike shares about being involved with the Independent Living Movement.
- Mike talks about his passion to help others see God’s good design in disability.
- Big topic of discussion: Healing and Disability
- Host Ellen Stumbo asks Mike, “If you were not a pastor and a strong believer, based on your experiences at church and your interaction with other Christians, would you attend church?”
Quotes from the show:
- I don’t want to be an object of ministry. I want to do ministry as part of the Body of Christ.
- Many disabled people get the message from Christians that they need to be fixed before God can accept them.
- No matter what condition you are in, you need Jesus!
- God’s hand is in disability. There are good purposes. To see that, you have to have an eternal perspective.
- God uses the messy for His glory.
- “You are not welcomed here. This is the image the church has painted of God. You need to be healed before you come in.
You can reach Pastor Mike Matthew via email email@example.com
Help us spread the word about The Accessible Church Podcast on iTunes and don’t forget to subscribe and leave us a review.
Listen to the show:
Latest posts by Ellen Stumbo (see all)
- How to Interact with Kids with Disabilties - January 2, 2017
- Episode 17: Disability Ministry Is Not An Elective - November 3, 2016
- Episode 16: Small Churches Can Do Disability Ministry Too [Podcast] - October 27, 2016