Join me today as I interview Jolene Philo and Katie Wetherbee about how to make sure that every child is welcomed at church.
What we covered in the show:
1. What prompted Jolene and Katie to write “Every Child Welcome
2. What advice Jolene and Katie have for churches that want to start a special needs ministry
3. What to do if a church isn’t big enough for a formal special needs ministry. What can individuals do to welcome families of kids with special needs?
4. Changes in churches over the years in regards to welcoming kids with disabilities.
5. Jolene and Katie discuss strategies for maintaining inclusion as children become teens.
Quotes from the show:
Make it understandable for every church volunteers or church leaders in a way that makes it understandable.
Structure, familiarity, and routine can be very helpful for kids with disabilities.
Good teaching for kids with special needs is just plain good teaching.
Disability ministry is about people and not about programs.
We don’t need to know the details and what the diagnosis is, it is our job to make them feel comfortable and accepted.
Parents need Sundays to go well too.
Every Child Welcome
You can find the book HERE.
Contact Jolene Philo or Katie Wetherbee
Contact Info website: www.DifferentDream.com
Listen to the show:
Latest posts by Ellen Stumbo (see all)
- How to Interact with Kids with Disabilties - January 2, 2017
- Episode 17: Disability Ministry Is Not An Elective - November 3, 2016
- Episode 16: Small Churches Can Do Disability Ministry Too [Podcast] - October 27, 2016